Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

I'll take a-week-that-is-likely-to-kill-me for $200, Alex

What do I do when I have an insurmountable amount of work on my plate?  I do everything but work on it. I Facebook, I blog-stalk, I veg out in front of the TV, and I play with my daughter. That is a terrible combination of unproductivness (yes, I made that word up), when I am a semester away from graduating college. I guess you could say I don't handle pressure well, and I do everything to avoid it.

Case in point: I have 10 tabs open on my browser that include journals and articles for my research papers due next week, but here I am blogging. Where does the term case in point come from anyways?

I did better in school than I ever expected to last semester as a new parent. I retained my full-time student status, and even managed to make the Chancellor's list (that's straight A's). I foolishly signed up for 19 hours this semester, and un-foolishly dropped a class to take me down to 16 (full-time is 12). I couldn't have taken 19 hours, what an idiot!

I'm doing pretty well considering I have a tough semester. I'm taking Introduction to Appalachian Music, which is the most boring, and unimportant class that I could ever imagine taking, but I'm making an A so I won't complain...for now. History of Rock and Roll is my favorite. You wouldn't think it would be difficult, but it's for my general education requirement, and the teacher acts like it is a music theory class, which is ridiculous, but I really enjoy learning about my favorite music.

You might be wondering why I have two music classes. Yea, I don't know either. They were among my choices to complete my general education so I figured, why not?

Then there is Sociology of the Family. Soc is my minor, and I really enjoy it. The only problem is, it's a 4000 level course, and the teacher basically told us the first day that she was going to treat it like a graduate level class. So pretty much she acts like her class is the only one we have for the semester.

World Literature is just annoying. The teacher looks like she is on her death bed, and to avoid teaching, she gives us ridiculous amounts of reading to do, which I don't, and then makes us fill out a worksheet afterwards.

The real rock in my shoe is Chemistry II. I look like an idiot in there because I'm surrounded by freshman, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only senior. I took Chem I my freshman year, and various circumstances, i.e. not being able to get into a class, getting pregnant, and having Kynlee, has pushed back the second course until my next to last semester. I did so well in Chem I, and I actually learned, and enjoyed it....but that was three years ago. I have retained pretty much nothing, so picking up from where we left off has been really difficult for me. I'm not going to lie, I think I'm failing. I really want to avoid re-taking it, so as bad as this sounds...no judging...I'm going to try my hardest to make a C, suck it up, and take it for what it's worth. I know, I'm disappointed in myself too. I just have to remember that as a new parent, I am doing better than anyone, including myself, expected.

There is a crazy phenomenon that occurs towards the end of every semester: everything remaining gets crammed into the last few weeks. Next week, all of my classes are clashing into one big pile of crap, that I somehow have to dig myself out of. I have a chem lab report due Monday.... A rock music  research paper on the benefits of music on exercise due Monday.... A chemistry exam MONDAY.... A 12-page research paper on stay-at-home moms, with an annotated bibliography due Tuesday.... A quiz in app music Tuesday...A presentation on my favorite author (J.K. Rowling), Wednesday (because my teacher hates to teach remember? so we do it all)...A listening report for App music due Thursday where I breakdown some awful song and try to explain metering, timing, and syncopation, blah blah blah... and Kynlee's 9-month check-up, with shots, on Thursday... geez I'm exhausted just writing out everything that I have to do. Oh yeah, I am supposed to sleep somewhere in there.

Luckily my mom offered to keep Kynlee this weekend. I really don't want to spend any time away from her, but I need it, or else I will drown next week.

I know this all sounds like I am complaining but I'm not....okay, maybe I am. I'm not going to lie, this sucks!! But I will finish everything, I always do. Even if it does mean staying up all night just to submit something 30 seconds before it's due.

There is a little bit of exciting news though. Hopefully, this summer I will begin a photography course! My dream!

This whole blogging thing is completely counterproductive...so I think I'll take a nap now. :)

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are busy! You sounds like you are coping with incredibly well though. It is hard trying to fit in full time study with a baby, but I'm sure you'll get there, you sound so determined! Funny, I did Chem for my degree when my son was Kynlee's age.. I didn't much enjoy it either lucky I don't need it much in genetics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - love the cute new header!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...